CFA CONVENTION – NORMAL, ILLINOIS ~ APRIL 18 – 21, 2018
– Opening night reception April 18th: sponsored by descendent of the Russell Bros. Circus, Mr. Keith Webb – Entrance to the Sales Room
– 6 seminars (more may be added as we come closer to the event)
– A luncheon on April 19th with guest speaker James Judkins, new owner of the Kelly Miller Circus
– The Gaona’s movie “The Flight Fantastic”
– Friday April 20 our exciting Banquet featuring speakers Tito and Richie Gaona
– Saturday, April 21 the Auction
– Tour of the special collections at the Milner Library and concluding with the Gamma Phi Circus.
Come for the events and enjoy the friendship
C.F.A. 2018 – Beyond Normal!
The Circus Fans Association of America is delighted to announce plans for their annual convention in Normal, Illinois April 18-22, 2018!
There will be a whirlwind of activities and speakers in this central Illinois community once known around the world as “The Trapeze Capital of the World!” Circus stars of yesterday, today, and tomorrow will be present – Tito and Richie Gaona top this impressive list — and thrills beyond imagination will bring enthusiasm and energy to the hearts of “ladies and gentlemen… and children of all ages!”
Convention goers will be immersed in circus from beginning to end. Films like “The Flight Fantastic,” a documentary about the Gaonas produced by the award-winning Tom Moore, will be shown in Normal’s historic Art Deco theater (a Q & A session will follow the film) on Thursday. Thursday’s luncheon will feature James Judkins, the new owner of the Kelly Miller Circus with all your questions answered.
Speakers will educate as well as entertain. Some of them include: Cherie Valentine will talk about her family’s glorious historical involvement in circus; Eric Willey will share the fabulous story of an early towner, Pawnee Bill; Candace Summers will inform the audience how this community delights in keeping our circus memories alive; Maureen Brunsdale and Mark Schmitt will speak about how this community became “trapeze capital,” and a special presentation by our Animal Welfare committee.
Internationally heralded trapeze historian, Steve Gossard, will introduce the brothers Gaona at the banquet on Friday evening and then convention goers will hear these legends speak about their careers!
Opportunity will be provided to tour Milner Library on the campus of Illinois State University where a circus themed exhibit will be displayed. Special Collections in Milner Library, home of the Circus & Allied Arts Collection, will throw open its doors to welcome visitors.
Last, but certainly FAR from the least, Gamma Phi Circus will round out the convention on Saturday evening. The longest-running collegiate circus in the United States (started by Clifford “Pop” Horton in 1929!), will be sure to astound all while creating memories that will be live for years and years to come!!
These activities — and so much more — will surely be enjoyed by all! To register please use the registration form here or in the next White Tops.
Make your hotel reservation now: (BEFORE MARCH 14, 2018)
Hyatt Place Bloomington/Normal
200 Broadway Ave
Normal, IL 61761
By Calling 1-888 HYATT HP (1-888-492-8847) (Hyatt Place)
By going online to Hyatt.com and entering reservation using G-CIRC as the group/corporate number.
Rooms: Single King Rate $129.00 plus12% tax = $144.48
Double Queen Rate $129.00 plus 12% tax = $144.48
Additional charges of $10 per adult will apply for Triple or Quad Occupancy (persons under 18 years of age are complimentary).
The above room rates include:
- Free AM kitchen skillet breakfast served daily at gallery kitchen for up to 2 persons
- Free Wi-Fi Internet access
- Free indoor parking in the adjacent Uptown parking deck
- 24/7 Gallery Market & Menu with signature flatbreads, bar bites, salads, sandwiches, bakery with an array of pastries and sweets and on-the-go drinks.
- Convenient full-service Starbucks located on 1st floor
- Coffee to Cocktails Bar serving Seattle’s Best specialty coffee and tea, premium beer, wine and cocktails
- 24-hour Business Center with free printing
- 24/7 gym with Life Fitness cardio equipment
- Indoor swimming pool
- Rooms include coffeemakers and minifridges
- 42” HDTV, Cozy Corner with sofa or sofa-sleeper, and bathroom vanities with granite countertops and complimentary amenities.
- Pet-friendly, smoke-free
- Free shuttle service (7 am to 11 pm every day)
Local Food & Drink:
- The Rock Restaurant (1 block) Casual, eclectic and welcoming, order a burger or gyro from this brick-walled restaurant.
- Stave Wine Bar and Market (2 blocks) – This bar serves an extensive selection of wine, microbrews and cheese platters in a location that could not be more convenient.
- Medici (2 blocks) – Sip one of 30 drafts at the ground-floor bar or enjoy private dining space on the second level with a large pizza pie.
- Destihl (1.8 miles) – Dine on cloud nine with beer flights, organic wine and rich American fare at a contemporary brewpub.
- Biaggl’s Ristorante Italiano (3 miles) – Italian comfort food in a casual setting with a family-friendly menu.
- Jim’s Steakhouse (4 miles) Savory beef and fresh seafood from an old-time steakhouse with a full bar and live music.